Voyagers.io’s FUTURE-HEALTH ADVENTURE: Iceland, October 10 to 13 2019
[October 7 2019 update: We’re full… but we plan to do this in a different location in 2020. Contact email@example.com]
On October 10 to 13 2019, Voyagers.io is bringing together 45 exceptional individuals from health-tech and life-sciences for a special weekend adventure in Iceland. This is a not-for-profit weekend, intended to bring together people working on the latest advances in healthcare — whether as startup founders, investors, researchers or advisers.
This will be an outdoor adventure weekend in the land of fire and ice, combining great hospitality, music, hot spring relaxation, stunning scenery, and perhaps just a little touch of Game of Thrones.
PLEASE NOTE: TO PARTICIPATE, YOU NEED TO BE WORKING IN HEALTH-TECH, LIFE SCIENCES OR HEALTHCARE — whether as a founder, investor, adviser, researcher, executive officer, or otherwise.
The weekend will be led by David Rowan, founding editor-in-chief of WIRED UK (2009-17) and author of Non-Bullshit Innovation (Penguin, May 2019). David advises and invests in early-stage tech companies and travels frequently to understand emerging trends. Voyagers.io began as his way to connect some of the inspiring people he meets. He does not draw any income from Voyagers.io, which budgets its weekends simply to share costs among participants.
Over three intense days in Iceland, you’ll enjoy a series of carefully curated experiences designed to bring you closer to an amazing group of people who, like you, have been hand-picked to build the Voyagers community. Together we’ll journey inside a volcano, hike up a glacier, bathe in hot geothermal waters… experiences designed to stretch you just a little, to take you out of comfortable assumptions, to relax you as you find yourself open to new friendships and new conversations. We want to bring together people working in different geographies on some of healthcare’s toughest challenges, in the hope that the resulting close connections will accelerate your progress (and also give you some lifelong new friends).
Our voyage begins with one night in dynamic Reykjavik, where we’ll sample the best of the dining and bustling bar scene, while taking in the coastal views. Then we’ll turn inland for the weekend, heading into the heart of the country’s spectacular volcanic and glacial landscapes, where we will have the run of one of Iceland’s highest-rated hotels as our group home.
Activities will include a very special journey 120 metres inside a volcano; trekking and mountain biking through Lord of the Rings terrain; all-terrain drives; glacier climbs; doing our bit with some group tree planting; and, of course, the all-important hot spring floating experience.
We'll be spending time in some incredible landscapes and locations. Our curation team, under chief curator Lucy Johnston, is working hard to provide a memorable set of experiences that tourists will never enjoy. We're working with local artists, musicians, entrepreneurs, investors and event organisers to bring you an intense agenda and a few magical surprises. We will network with some of Iceland’s standout life-science and health-tech entrepreneurs. We're also working with local chefs and chocolate-makers to ensure the group gets a proper culinary introduction to Iceland by participating in their beautiful processes.
Registered participants include:
• Investor with one of Europe's largest-ever VC funds (Berlin/Zurich/Tel Aviv)
• Co-founder of an ambitious biotech therapeutics company (London)
• Health investor and creator of the voice AI that became Amazon Alexa (Cambridge)
• Inventor of the nano-patch and holder of 128 patents, now developing micro-wearables for continuous monitoring in precision health (Australia)
• Founder of a medical video-games company whose games are played by 400,000 healthcare professionals (SF)
• Cancer-research geneticist and board member of an international pharma company (UK)
• Head of strategy for a leading manufacturer of surgical robots (SF)
• Founder of a company fixing the software that doctors use (SF)
• Plastic surgeon who founded a company using augmented reality to train clinicians (UK)
• Physician driving digital change inside the NHS
• Leader of a health-clinic network being rolled out across Peru
• CEO and chairman of a leading genomics platform
• Investor on the Midas List Europe of Europe's "25 best venture capitalists" (London)
• Healthcare venture capitalists from China, the US and UK
• CEO of neuroscience-based medical device company Neuroelectrics (Barcelona)
• Anaesthesiologist with a PhD in medical machine learning using AI to prevent hospital deaths (UK)
• Private-equity investor focused on healthcare in the Nordics (London)
• Professor of biomedicine and nanotechnology at UCL
• Co-founder, NHS Digital Academy & NHS primary care doctor (London)
• Professor of bio-ethics at ETH Zurich (Switzerland)
• Synthetic biologist working in oncology therapeutics and translational neuroscience (Tel Aviv)
• Founder of a tech startup using MRI and AI for early detection of cancer
TO APPLY TO PARTICIPATE: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
YOUR COMMITMENT: You must be available to be with us in Iceland from the afternoon of Thursday October 10 until the afternoon of Sunday October 13 2019. Many participants are staying in Iceland until Monday.
THE COST: We are offering places to this not-for-profit adventure at cost. Our goal is to build meaningful community, not to make money from these trips. We will take care of you from the moment you arrive in our hotel in central Reykjavik until the moment we close our farewell Sunday lunch. Your place will include:
Three nights accommodation in two excellent hotels: one night in Hotel Alda, in Reykjavik; and two nights in Hotel Húsafell, an acclaimed lodge that is considered one of Iceland’s best spots for watching the Northern Lights.
All meals: breakfasts, lunches and dinners for all three days
All drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, taken with the group
All scheduled activities, including arranged outdoor activities, the visit inside the volcano, etc
All transport for the duration of the scheduled adventure (you will need to arrange your own travel to Iceland and airport transfers)
The Voyagers.io gift pack (save some luggage space to take it home)
The services of the Voyagers.io production team
Advance curation by the Voyagers.io team, including two extended site visits
A few extra surprises we will announce nearer the event.
The shared cost will be £1,700 per person in shared rooms, or £1,950 for your own rooms. We make no margin on this: this is what the cost will be to us. We do not want to exclude good people on grounds of affordability, and may be able to subsidise places where cost is a barrier.
HOW THE FEE BREAKS DOWN:
Your fee covers what we estimate will be these costs to us (per person) that we pass on to you without adding a mark-up:
FOOD, DRINKS & ROOM HIRE: £440
LOCAL ACTIVITIES: £390
PRIOR SITE VISITS: £25
PRODUCTION, CURATION & DELIVERY: £220
GIFT PACK: £45
STAFF ACCOMMODATION: £30
TOTAL: £1,950 for single occupancy of rooms (to include no fee for host nor profit for Voyagers.io)
Please note: We are limited to just 45 places. We are curating the group to ensure a diverse mix of lovely people doing interesting and relevant work in the sector. We welcome partners who are active participants.